Jesse-Julian G.-West House
Topic: Jiu-Jitzu
EQ: What is the most efficient way to become a successful Jiu-Jitsu practitioner?

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Independent Component 1

  1. Literal 
    • I, Jesse-Julian Gonzalez, affirm that I completed my Independent Component which represents 30 hours of work.
    • For my Independent Component, I completed it while doing my service learning at my dojo. I took part in the class as a student of course, helping the younger students when they needed it, and I also practiced with a fellow (Aikido) student, Paul Navarro, on the weekends. 
  2.  Applied
    • Both my service learning and outside practice has given me my 30 hours because of the time that I have put in on Tuesdays, and on the weekends. Unfortunately I could not get a total of 30 hours in my dojo due to scheduling difficulties, and my sensei had a terrible injury. However usually on Sundays my fellow student Paul Navarro had come to my house and practiced with me for average 5 hours. This gave me experience in teaching others, learning myself, and having experience against a person knowing a different martial arts. 

  3. Interpretive 
    • My EQ is "What is the most effective way to become a successful Jiu-Jitsu practitioner?" My component helped me answer my EQ in a number of ways. Working with the youngsters reminded me when I was barely learning. If they did not understand a technique I would help them by teaching them in a much simpler form. I did though incorporate things that I learned through my life. Though practicing with Paul gave me a very deep insight on other martial arts as well. We practiced for a very long time, and this showed my reactions towards something I have never seen before. A few times I would be stunned because i expected him to do something, and he would do something completely new. These 2 experiences for my independent component have given me 2 possible answers to my essential question. The first one being, incorporating different techniques from other martial arts in where Jiu-Jitsu lacks in, and never expecting what your opponent will do to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment